Jun 17, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Credit and Prior Learning

CCAC recognizes credit earned in several ways, including college coursework in high school, transferred credits from other institutions, standardized subject tests, and various industry and agency training and certifications. Advanced standing credits may be obtained in a variety of ways.

Transfer of Credits

If a student intends to apply college courses taken elsewhere to a degree at CCAC, the student must request an official transcript from those colleges and apply for advanced standing. See the Transferring Credits to CCAC for instructions on sending official transcripts. Transcripts become the property of the Community College of Allegheny County and will not be returned. CCAC does not provide copies of transcripts from other secondary and postsecondary institutions.

If advanced standing is approved for college credit, it will be entered into our student information system as preliminary, and will be posted to the CCAC transcript once the student has completed at least one course for college credit at CCAC. These courses will not be listed on the student’s transcript until one course has been successfully completed at CCAC. Only CCAC credits are calculated into the CCAC grade point average (GPA).

See more information on requesting transfer credit evaluations.

Exams and Certifications

Advanced Placement Exams (AP)

AP provides high school students with the opportunity to take college-level courses and take the AP exams for college credit or advanced placement.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know. Earn qualifying scores on any of the 33 introductory-level college subject examinations.

  • To review CCAC’s CLEP Credit-Granting Policy, see CCAC/CLEP Course Equivalents  
  • To learn how and where to take a CLEP test, logon or create an account at College Board/CLEP
  • When registering for a CLEP test, choose to report your score to “CC of Allegheny County” (Any Campus).

Credit by Examination (CBE)

Students in good standing who feel they can demonstrate knowledge equivalent to what is taught in a college class may petition the appropriate academic dean for the privilege of taking a special examination for college credit.

If a student wishes to challenge a course for which there is no standardized test, the student will contact the appropriate academic department at CCAC to inquire as to whether or not a test is offered for credit. The course must be listed in the CCAC college catalog and available at the campus. A student may not challenge a course that he/she has already completed, or for which he/she is currently registered. A student may only challenge and test once for any given course.

  • If a test is available, obtain permission to test from the Academic Dean at your campus. The Dean may recommend another form of evaluation for prior learning assessment (CLEP or Portfolio). Once permission is granted, the student must schedule and take the test within 60 business days.
  • If the student successfully passes the exam, the appropriate course and credits will be posted to the transcript. If a student is new to CCAC, the credit will not be posted to the transcript until at least one course for college credit is completed at the college. The grade earned will not be calculated into the Grade Point Average (GPA).
  • A fee equal to the tuition for one credit is charged.

DSST (formerly DANTES)

The nationally recognized DSST Program helps you receive college credits for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom through a suite of more than 30 exams.

To review CCAC’s DSST Credit-Granting Policy, see CCAC/DSST Course Equivalents  

To learn how and where to take a DSST test, logon or create an account at DSST/getcollege credit.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams

Completion of International Baccalaureate (IB) exams with a specified minimum score may award credit for college coursework. Students must submit IB Score Report to registration@ccac.edu

To review CCAC’s IB Credit-Granting standards, see CCAC/IB Course Equivalents  

Portfolio Review through College Credit Fast Track (PLA)

College Credit Fast Track helps current and prospective students earn college credit at one of Pennsylvania’s Community Colleges based on prior work or life experience. Through an online state-wide website, CCAC students and applicants can create and submit an e-portfolio, which enables the student to document and compile prior learning for evaluation of credit. Students submit the e-portfolio, which serves to document the evidence that the student has mastered the learning outcomes for a credit course at CCAC through life and work experience. See ccac.edu/CCFastTrack for detailed instructions. Submit portfolio requests at the www.ccfasttrack.org e-portfolio site.

Military Coursework and Training

If students have taken courses in the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) or American Council of Education (ACE) approved military training, they may apply to have these tests/courses count toward credit graduation at CCAC. CCAC recognizes and will grant credit for relevant coursework/training completed per the JST (Joint Services Transcript).

An official Joint Services Transcript must be submitted to the college for evaluation. Our Military and Veterans Services Office can request on your behalf, or you can request that your JST transcript be delivered electronically to the CCAC Registrar.

For details on the JST program, including the procedure for transcript requests, please visit: JST System or Joint Services Transcript

Non-Credit Programs / Coursework

CCAC awards credit for completion of certain non-credit programs and/or coursework, applied to specific credit degree programs. Includes credit for completion of workforce program courses in mechatronics, renewable energy, ASL, US Steel welding courses, and EMT certification.

For details, please see Workforce Non-Credit to Credit Course Equivalencies  

Proof of completion is required by the Director of Registration at your campus.

Credit for Career and Technical Education (CTE)

Students who have completed programs at regional Career and Technical Centers may earn college credit in a related program at the Community College of Allegheny County. Made possible through the Perkins Career & Technical Education Grant, CCAC has established credit transfer (articulation) agreements that allow well-qualified Career & Technical high school graduates the opportunity to earn between 3 and 12 college credits for the programs they completed in high school. Program pathways have been created that meet the criteria for PA SOAR (Students Occupationally and Academically Ready) or CCAC STAR (Students Technically and Academically Ready) articulation agreements with each Career and Technical Center. 

For details and application procedures, see Perkins Grant Credit Transfer Agreements .  

Pittsburgh Job Corps

Upon review of the competency-based curricula of the Pittsburgh Job Corps, advanced standing will be awarded to students who successfully complete the Job Corps training programs listed below. Applicants for advanced credit must meet CCAC requirements for admission and register as a CCAC student. Applicants must submit official high school transcripts, related test results, plus an application for credit by articulation within two years after completing coursework at Job Corps. Students who do not meet the minimum grade requirement of the articulation may apply for credit by examination.

Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning 10 credits in HAC 201  and HAC 202 , pending successful completion of HAC 101   at CCAC with minimum grade of B.
Plumbing Technology 4 credits in PLT 204  at CCAC, pending successful completion of at least one credit in Plumbing at CCAC with minimum grade of C.
Facilities Maintenance Technology

1 credit in MMT 131 , pending successful completion of at least one credit in Facilities Maintenance at CCAC with minimum grade of B. A copy of OSHA 10 card must be submitted with application.

Certifications, Licensures and Training

CCAC awards advanced standing in a variety of areas, including aviation, law enforcement, culinary arts, information technology, and more. See complete listing at Advanced Standing for Certifications or Training .