Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Admission Requirements
Students must meet the essential cognitive, physical and behavioral functions to apply to the Sonography program.
Applications to the College and to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program (DMS) are separate processes. Acceptance to the College does not serve as acceptance to the DMS Degree program.
Students interested in admission to the limited enrollment Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Program (DMS) must complete the following:
- Apply to CCAC/Boyce Campus.
- Submit your high school transcript to the Admissions Office.
- Submit your official college transcripts and an Application for Credit Transfer to the Admissions Office, if applicable.
- Schedule an appointment and take required Placement Tests (e.g., Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) if you have not completed any college coursework.
- Meet with an Advisor.
- Complete developmental courses required from results of your Placement Tests.
- Complete college-level general biology or introduction to biological science course AND college level medical terminology with a letter grade of "C" or better.
- Recommended but not required: Shadow in hospital ultrasound department in the areas in which a DMS application will be submitted; i.e., if an applicant intends to apply only to the vascular track, they need only shadow in a vascular lab. If an applicant intends to submit applications to the cardiac track, they need to shadow in the cardiac department and if applying to the general track, they need to shadow in hospital abdominal ultrasound department for a total maximum of 6 hours. This will help determine which specialty field you want to complete
- Have documentation indicating the dates, hospital and signature of sonographer where observation occurred.
- Call the Allied Health Department at: 724.325.6754 to request the Health Careers Programs Diagnostic Medical Sonography application and Admission Information Guide*.
- Students interested in applying to the DMS program should take the USA Assessment Test prior to beginning the pre-requisite course work. Contact USA Assessment Examination at Pegasus, 972-564-3056, to make payment of $65.00 for the examination and then schedule your test date at 724-325-6672. You must make payment before scheduling your testing date.
* This packet of information and forms is not available through the Internet. You must call to have the admission packet sent to you or pick it up in person at any of the four campus advising locations. All College forms that need to be completed, signed and submitted for the DMS program will be in the application packet.
Only complete application packets will be considered for admission to the DMS program.
Admission deadline is March 1 every year. Please contact the Allied Health Department at Boyce Campus by calling 724.325.6754 for any changes in deadline dates. A complete packet contains:
- The Health Careers Admission Application (for Diagnostic Medical Sonography)
- Complete the USA Assessment Examination, include copy of receipt
- Copy of other college transcripts (if applicable)*
- Copy of CCAC transcripts (if applicable) *Copy of Approved Transfer of Credits (if applicable)
- Copy of Current Course Registration (if applicable)
- Total Admission Score Calculation Sheet—Score must be 2.5 or higher with no grade lower than a "C" in any science or math course
- *Students who have enrolled in the same developmental course more than three (3) times will not be considered for acceptance in an Allied Health program. Students who have enrolled in the same science course more than three (3) times will not be considered for acceptance. "W" and "I" grades also count as an enrollment.
- Completed Health Careers Programs Prerequisite Checklist
- Complete Program Prerequisite Courses
- Students interested in applying to the DMS program should take the USA Assessment Test prior to beginning the pre-requisite course work.
ALH 140 Medical Terminology - 3 credits , or
BIO 123 Medical Biology and Terminology - 3 credits
BIO 161 Anatomy & Physiology 1 - 4 credits (pre-requisites are BIO 110 or BIO 151 )
BIO 162 Anatomy & Physiology 2 - 4 credits
ENG 101 English Composition 1 - 3 credits
MAT 108 Intermediate Algebra - 4 credits
- Completed and signed Video Observation Form
- Your Self-essay—See Admission Information Guide for outline.
- Self-addressed "Application Received Post Card"
- Completed Selection of Specialty Form: Applicants must ocmplete a Specialty Selection Form and choose either the Cardiac, General or Vascular major. Applicants applying to more than one specialty must complete a separate application for each specialty for the DMS program and rank for consideration.
- DMS applicants must have completed the USA Assessment testing and pre-requisite course work before sumitting an application.
*The USA Assessment Examination and Total Admission Score will determine acceptance in the CCAC Diagnostic Medical Sonography program for the Fall semester.
*An unofficial copy of your CCAC college transcript is acceptable for your Health Careers application packet. Students attending other college/universities must include an unofficial copy of your college transcript along with Transfer of Credit form, if applicable.
**Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the initial round of completed applications is not sufficient to fill all seats available.
Return all completed materials in the envelope provided with the packet by the application due date.