SPH 101 - Oral Communication
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: ENG 101L , or eligibility for ENG-101.
This course develops student skills in the organization and oral expression of ideas through a variety of speeches. Emphasis is on the way people communicate effectively in professional, business and social situations.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Organize material for various types of speeches using supporting material.
- Discern the major methods and styles of delivery.
- Deliver well-designed informative and persuasive speeches.
- Assess speech topics, presentations and preparation by cooperating in small groups.
- Perform public speaking with confidence.
- Adapt presentations appropriately by analyzing diverse audiences and situations.
- Presentation Skills
- Interpersonal Communication
- Persuasive Speaking
- Audience Analysis
- Informative Speaking
- Nonverbal Communication
- Impromptu Speaking
Textbooks/materials appropriate for teaching mode as deemed appropriate by instructor, library, internet resources
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 01/02/2020
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)