CIT 601 - Research using the Internet
1 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: Basic skills using a personal computer and operating system.
This course introduces students to the Internet as an information retrieval tool and teaches strategies for locating and analyzing information. The course is designed to help students develop the basic information literacy skills necessary for college course work, general research and for lifelong learning in an information-centered society. This course is graded on a pass/fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the types of information resources available via the Internet.
- Use effective search strategies of appropriate Internet resources and Internet-accessible library databases in the research process.
- Apply keyword and Boolean search techniques for Internet search tools.
- Access relevant information resources using Internet communication tools including web search engines, meta-search engines and subject directories.
- Evaluate the credibility, quality and accuracy of Internet resources for specific information needs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of social, legal and ethical issues including netiquette, plagiarism and copyright infringement.
- Demonstrate proper use of Blackboard features utilized in most on-line CCAC classes including discussion boards and assignment submissions.
- Blackboard features
- Brief history of Internet
- Internet communication and research tools
- Strategies for effective and efficient use of web search engines
- Keyword and Boolean search techniques
- Social, legal and ethical issues
- Evaluation of Internet resources for usefulness and reliability
Textbooks/materials, current and appropriate software, multimedia for lecture and demonstration as required by instructor; access to the Internet.
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 03/15/2019
- Technological Competence
- Information Literacy
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)