CIT 641 - Computer Information Security
1 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: Basic skills using a personal computer and operating system.
This course is an introduction to practical computer and data security topics for all users, including business professionals and home users. Topics include general information security concepts, personal computer security, internet and email security, wired and wireless network security, organizational data security and risk assessment. The course is graded on a pass/fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Describe general information security issues including data theft, identity theft and various vulnerabilities and attacks.
- Characterize information security policies and principles.
- Explain how to apply physical security, data security and operating system security on personal desktop and laptop computers.
- Identify risks and vulnerabilities of the internet and email.
- Explain preventive measures and technologies that can be used to minimize web attacks and protect email.
- Describe common network attacks and security solutions.
- Discuss effective practices in organizational data asset evaluation and risk assessment.
- Information security and general security policy
- Data and identity theft
- Various vulnerabilities, attacks and attacker profiles
- Physical security, data security and operating system security of personal computers
- Internet and web vulnerabilities, attacks and security measures and solutions
- Email vulnerabilities, attacks and security measures and solutions
- Wired and wireless network security issues and solutions
- Organizational data security and risk assessment
Current and appropriate textbook, current and appropriate version of software, multimedia for lecture and demonstration, access to the internet.
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals: Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 4/26/2021
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)