Jun 03, 2023
CRT 104 - Speedbuilding
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: CRT 101
Co-requisites: CRT 102 and CRT 205
This course uses dictation and practice of Literary and Question and Answer material. The goal is 90-110 words per minute for five minutes with transcription accuracy at 95 percent or better. Dictation and transcription skills are emphasized and tested.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify and analyze stroking errors and fluently read aloud machine shorthand notes.
- Write dictation of Literary and Question and Answer material at 90-110 words per minute using machine shorthand skills and transcribe under institutional supervision with the goal of 95 percent accuracy or higher by the end of the term.
- Write with speed and accuracy through sustained dictation periods at 90-110 words per minute for five minutes with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or higher.
- Write multi-syllable and unfamiliar words with speed and accuracy including medical and technical dictation.
- Use correct grammar and punctuation when transcribing.
- Oral translation and reading of machine shorthand notes
- Literary and Question and Answer writing in machine shorthand
- Jury Charge briefs and phrases
- Endurance writing
- Speed and accuracy writing
Required Text: Department selected text
Required Materials: Stenograph paper, ribbons, realtime cables and connections
Audio-Visual Materials: CDs used in concert with theory lessons, CD player
Directed Study: Practice thee hours daily utilizing CDs, tutorials and online dictation materials
Open Court Reporting Tutoring Lab
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2011
- Technological Competency
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)