Jun 03, 2023
CRT 228 - Literary 4
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: CRT 218
Co-requisites: CRT 226 and CRT 227
This course emphasizes speed development and readback of Literary material. The goal is writing 180 words per minute for five minutes with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or better using Case CATalyst software. This proficiency must be demonstrated three times.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify and analyze stroking errors and fluently read aloud machine shorthand notes.
- Write dictation of Literary material at 180 words per minute using machine shorthand skills and transcribe under institutional supervision with the goal of 95 percent accuracy or higher by the end of the course. Three takes will be completed at 180 words per minute for five minutes at 95 percent accuracy to meet National Court Reporter’s Association (NCRA) requirements.
- Write with speed and accuracy through sustained dictation periods at 180 words per minute for five minutes with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or higher.
- Use correct grammar and punctuation when transcribing.
- Internet research on vocabulary, spelling and word meanings within the context of dictated material
- Sustained classroom practice and readback in an environment that facilitates speed development
- Stenograph University Online/Accelerators
Required Text: Department selected text
Stenograph University Online Pass Code with Performance eValuator
Required Materials: Stenograph paper, ribbons, realtime cables and connections
Audio-Visual Materials: Stenograph Testimony, Jury Charge and Captioning Accelerators
Available in Reserve Room of the library and on the Internet
Directed Study: Practice three hours daily utilizing CDs, tutorials and online dictation materials
Open Court Reporting Lab
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2011
- Technological Competency
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)