Jun 01, 2023
ART 168 - Raster Graphics with Adobe Photoshop
5 Studio Hours
This course introduces the graphic capabilities of using industry-standard raster software to create digital illustrations and image enhancement. Students learn digital imaging terminology and techniques for digital rendering, tracing, editing, retouching, color correction and layering, file formats for self-generated illustration and image compositing for print, digital and web publication.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Differentiate between raster (pixel) and vector (paths) graphics.
- Distinguish between high/low resolution in the generation and output of visuals to align with professional quality printing and digital device display standards.
- Demonstrate proficiency of navigating work areas, tools, image generation and manipulation exclusive to and in combination with both raster and vector software applications.
- Conduct online image searches of stock photography resources and review image ethical and legal usage of open resource and copyright protections.
- Utilize Adobe Photoshop cover actions and mockup resources to design and develop professional portfolio spreads to meet industry presentation standards.
- Compositional theory as applied to individual images and collage
- Categories of photography: portraiture, travel, architectural, photojournalism, documentary, snapshot, personal social, advertising, fashion, industrial, scientific, nature and art
- Raster-based and vector-based software
- Image capturing equipment, such as a digital camera, smartphone or flatbed scanner
- File formats and preparation for final media output or display
Instructor-approved textbook, software and resources
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 2/25/2022
- Technological Competence
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)