Jun 01, 2023
ASL 101 - Elem American Sign Language 1
4 Lecture Hours
This course develops the basic skills of receiving and expressing American Sign Language. Class participation includes exercises in articulation, reception, translation, grammatical patterns and description of objects and events. The course requires students to practice and apply skills by completing projects outside the classroom.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate receptive and expressive skills in American Sign Language by receiving and expressing basic commands and questions.
- Make introductions, gain conversational attention and clarify information using American Sign Language.
- Employ a receptive vocabulary of no less than 850 items and an expressive vocabulary of no less than 600 of those items.
- Examine ASL classifier meanings by discussing concepts, movement roots and hand shapes morphemes.
- Demonstrate receptive/expressive forms in sign, written in the grammatical structure American Sign Language Gloss.
- Identify each mouthing meaning and distinguish functions.
- List signs that are typically combined with each mouthing.
- Language in action segments of level 1
- Digital movies in American Sign Language
- Hand shape stories and ABC stories
- Live event narratives, communication dialogues
- American Sign Language Structure, Object-Subject-Verb (OSV), syntactic, pragmatics, classifiers, role shifting, signing speed, mouthing, numbering and signing space
- American Sign Language Classifiers
- Receptive and expressive parameters: handshapes, location, movements, palm orientations and non-manual signals
- Movement roots: stative-descriptive, process and contact
Instructor approved textbook and materials
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 05/15/2021
- Culture Society & Citizenship
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)