EAL 089 - EAL Academic English Structure
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: EAL writing placement test.
Students must earn a “C” grade or better to register for the next course in this discipline or to use this course as a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.
This course is for multilingual and emerging bilingual students of English with little experience writing in English for academic purposes, especially in the United States. This is the first of two courses that prepare the student for college-level writing.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify the parts of a sentence.
- Distinguish between grammars in students’ best language and English.
- Demonstrate academic English rhetorical styles.
- Edit writings with grammatical errors.
- Generate ideas and express them in written form.
- Learn personal patterns for purposes of revision.
- Sentence elements
- Punctuation, spelling, grammar
- Sentence boundary errors
- Topic sentences and basic paragraph development
- Editing and revision
- Prewriting strategies
- Basic attribution and avoidance of plagiarism
Textbooks and digital software/media
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 10/25/2016
Last Reviewed: 9/24/2021
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)