Sep 21, 2023
FSA 102 - Principle of Emergency Services
3 Lecture Hours
This course provides an overview to fire protection; career opportunities in fire protection and related fields; philosophy and history of fire protection/service; fire loss analysis; organization and function of public and private fire protection services; fire departments as part of local government; laws and regulations affecting the fire service, fire service nomenclature; specific fire protection functions; basic fire chemistry and physics; introduction to fire protection systems; introduction to tactics and strategy.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Describe and discuss the components of the history and philosophy of the modern fire service.
- Analyze the basic components of fire as a chemical reaction, the major phases of fire and examine the main factors that influence fire spread and fire behavior.
- Differentiate between fire service training and education; fire protection certificate program and fire service degree program; and explain the value of education in fire service.
- List and describe the major organizations that provide emergency response services and how they relate.
- Identify the fire protection and emergency service careers in both the public and in the private sectors.
- Synthesize the role of national, state and local support organizations in fire protection and emergency services.
- Discuss and describe the scope, purpose and organizational structure of fire and emergency services.
- Describe the common types of fire and emergency service facilities, equipment and apparatus.
- Compare and contrast effective management concepts for various emergency situations.
- Identify and explain the components of fire prevention including code enforcement, public information and public/private fire protection systems.
- Recognize the components of career preparation and goal setting.
- Describe the importance of wellness and fitness as it relates to emergency services.
- History and philosophy of modern day fire service
- Basic components and major phases of fire
- Fire spread and fire behavior
- Fire service training and education and the value of education in fire service
- Emergency response services organizations
- Fire protection and emergency service careers
- Fire protection and emergency services support organizations
- Scope, purpose and structure of fire and emergency services
- Fire and emergency service facilities, equipment and apparatus
- Management concepts in emergency situations
- Components of fire prevention
- Wellness and fitness
Current editions of:
Introduction to Fire Protection, Robert Klinoff, Delmar
Introduction to Fire Science, Loren Bush, Glencoe
Fire Protection Handbook, National Fire Protection Association
Principles of Fire Protection, Bugbee & Cote, NFPA
Firefighters Handbook, Delmar
Fire Service Orientation and Terminology, IFSTA
Approved By: Murphy, Michael Date Approved: 6/17/2004
Last Reviewed: 3/12/2021
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)