HPE 101 - Aerobic Dance
3 Activity Hours
This is a fitness class using various dance steps and patterns to improve aerobic fitness. This class is designed for non-dancers. All dance styles and steps are incorporated into set routines to popular music. The student is not required to learn or perfect any dance styles or steps. The level of dancing is individual.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Perform various dance steps and patterns together continuously for a set period of time in order to improve cardiovascular fitness.
- Calculate a target heart rate and other methods of perceived exertion.
- Recognize and perform proper aerobic dance steps.
- Make fitness a part of their daily lives through safe, effective workouts measured by self-assessment.
- Identify other fitness related topics.
- Warm-up—steps to prepare the body for more challenging movement
- Workout—large, rhythmic dance steps to allow student to work in “their target zone”
- Pulse taking techniques
- Aerobic cool-down—steps and patterns to allow heart rate to decrease back to resting rate
- Muscle strengthening exercises, i.e. sit ups, etc.
- Final cool-down—stretching to improve flexibility
Pertinent handouts and or text as designated by instructor.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 04/13/2007
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)