Jan 28, 2023
JRN 103 - Introduction to Mass Media
3 Lecture Hours
An introduction to mass media: role, content, effects and responsibilities of newspapers, magazines, books, radio, television and films.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Students will learn about the evolution and growth of various forms of mass media.
- Students will be introduced to the latest technology associated with the mass media forms.
- Students will be made aware of copyright infringement, sensationalism, libel and censorship issues.
- Students will review the international status of media forms and their impact in the political, social and economic arenas.
- Students will demonstrate comprehension of theories through sampling and small group discussion.
- The evolution and growth of newspapers, magazines, books, radio, television and films, specifically, the content, role, effects and responsibilities of each form
- The technology associated with the mass media forms
- Copyright infringement, sensationalism, libel and censorship issues
- Mass media’s impact in political, social and economic arenas internationally
- Comprehension of theories using sampling and small group discussion
Text: Media Impact: An Introduction to the Mass Media by Shirley Biagi.
Samplings of each form of mass media as assigned.
Videotape presentation related to the various media forms.
Supplemental electronic updates and PowerPoint presentations.
Approved By: Kingsmore, John Date Approved: 08/25/1997
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)