Sep 28, 2022
MEC 100 - Mechatronics Safety and Quality
3 Skills Lab Hours
This course prepares students with the common skills and competencies they will need to work in Pennsylvania’s manufacturing and energy industries. This course emphasizes principles of safety and quality. Students will use safety-enhancing workplace practices, including wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), performing lockout/tagout and filling out Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). They will utilize the fundamentals of blueprint reading, precision measurement and quality inspection. Students will sit for the Manufacturing Skill Standards Council’s (MSSCS) safety and quality exams toward achievement of the Certified Production Technician (CPT) credential. Fees for test materials and certification are added to the cost of this course.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of team members in common manufacturing and energy work settings.
- Use best practices to ensure safety and quality in the industrial workplace.
- Apply OSHA principles to perform a job safety analysis.
- List categories of emergencies and how to properly respond to each.
- Describe various work hazards and the personal protective equipment needed to work safely in industrial environments.
- Describe how to safely identify and manage hazardous materials according to standards set by OSHA, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Operate basic hand tools, precision measurement tools, power tools and material handling equipment safely.
- Interpret blueprint drawings and technical schematics.
- Convert U.S. Customary and Systeme International (SI) metric measurements.
- Describe elements of Quality Assurance (QA), including the Plan, Do Check, Act (PDCA) cycle, continuous improvement, inspection and audits.
- Interpret basic statistics, histograms and control charts.
- Regional manufacturing and energy careers
- Communication skills and strategies
- Industrial teams and teamwork
- Leadership skills for industry
- Safety organization in the workplace
- Personal protective equipment
- Fire and electrical safety
- Work area safety
- Hazardous materials safety
- Tool and machine safety
- Material handling safety
- Blueprint reading and Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerances (GD&T)
- Basic measurement
- Precision measurement tools
- Dimensional gauging
- Quality systems and quality management
- Statistical Process Control (SPC) and control charts
- Continuous improvement
Instructor-approved textbook and materials.
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 04/15/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)