SHM 207 - Problem Solving
3 Lecture Hours 4 Lab Hours
This is a synthesis course in applied problem solving for the Sheet Metal Industry. Standard trade methods will be applied to industry applications in terms of lay out, field measuring and offset calculation. Principles of triangulation will be covered in terms of basic theorems and their application to the industry.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Learn the correct procedure needed to find the change side of transition fittings.
- Be able to determine the true length lines required to layout radial and tapered fittings.
- Establish rate of change in terms of a sine wave.
- Layout flange patterns given diameter and number of hole penetrations.
- Layout elbow and straight dimensions to decipher a simple offset in a given duct system.
- Gauge a rolling offset given necessary dimensions.
- Explain elevation difference problems using knowledge of non right triangle formulas.
- Resolve offset difference problems using knowledge of non right triangle formulas.
- Triangulate distance given necessary dimensions on 3 points of measurement.
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Trigonometric Functions
- Law of Sines
- Law of Cosines
- Ptolemy’s Theorem
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2008
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)