SOE 201 - Industrial Maintenance 1
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: SOE 101 and SOE 102 or one year’s experience in maintenance or related field.
This course is a comprehensive introduction to fundamental maintenance and troubleshooting principles, procedures, and practices in a system format. Systems include electrical, refrigeration, boiler, HVAC, mechanical, fluid power, welding, programmable controllers and preventive maintenance.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify and describe Workplace Safety, Hazardous Material Handling, Hand Tools, Measuring Devices, Power Tools, Threads, Taps and Dies, Fastener Types, Fastener Grades, Torque Specifications and Retaining Ring Fasteners.
- Define and explain the importance of Electrical Symbols, Welding Symbols and Welding Drawings.
- Demonstrate functions of Belts and Sheaves, Chains and Sprockets, Gears and Gearboxes, Speed Calculations, Bearing Loads, Bearing Construction, Series of Bearings, Bearing Types, Bearing Installation and Removal, Bearing Failures.
- Illustrate Shaft Alignment, Dial Indicator Method, Reverse Dial Indicator Method, Feeler Gauge Method, Laser Shaft Alignment, General Terms, Types of Lubricants, Methods of Application and Lubrication Schedules.
- Compare and contrast uses for Packing Seals, Mechanical Seals, Radial Lip Seals, Hydraulic Pumps, Pump Specifications, Pump Troubleshooting, Air Compression, Compressor Types, and Compressor Troubleshooting.
- Identify various Piping Tools, Piping Systems, Fittings, Piping Sketches, Fitting Allowances and Pipe Connection Methods.
- Describe how the following topics apply to the maintenance of a facility: Atomic Structure, Current, Voltage, Resistance, Resistor Wattage Ratings and Power, Scientific Notation, Ohm’s Law, Power Law, Digital Multimeter, Clamp-On Ammeter, Megohmmeter, Oscilloscope, Series Circuits, Parallel Circuits and Combination Circuits.
- Industrial Maintenance Fundamentals
- Types of Systems
- Preventive Maintenance
Supplementary Materials such as study guides, workbooks, CD, videos, handouts, library resources.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 05/14/2007
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)