THE 154 - Introduction to Cinema
3 Lecture Hours
This course is a critical survey of motion pictures. The focus is on the literary, technical, social and cultural development of film. A historical and technical text is combined with critical, in-depth analysis of films.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Define technical terms and phases of film pre-production, production and post-production.
- Identify functions of film personnel.
- Interpret a film within the social/cultural context of its production and viewing.
- Recognize the basic psychological theories used to analyze spectator perception of film.
- Identify film genre.
- Historical development of film
- Film terminology
- Technical aspects of filmmaking
- Social/cultural context of film context, production and distribution
- Theories of film analysis
Current film text
Videotapes, DVD or digital copies of films
16mm copies of films
Community resources, on-line resources and local movie houses
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2011
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)