Oct 04, 2023
CLR 110 - Foodservice Sanitation and Safety
3 Lecture Hours
This course prepares students to work safely in a commercial kitchen setting while safely preparing food for the dining public. Students follow the safe and sanitary flow of food through all stages of handling and production and establish procedures that ensure the service of food safe for consumption. Students study government health codes and how to apply the principles of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) in the operation of a foodservice establishment. This course prepares students to pass the ServSafe Examination as provided by The National Restaurant Association Education Foundation proctored and administered at CCAC.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Describe the principles of kitchen safety and the safe operation of kitchen equipment commonly used in a commercial setting.
- List the most common biological types of food borne illness including cause, symptoms and prevention.
- Identify physical and chemical contaminants to food service including corrective actions and prevention of illness.
- Assess potential food hazard throughout the flow of food and identify critical control points.
- Present corrective actions to prevent or eliminate food hazards.
- Demonstrate proper cleaning and sanitation procedures of food service equipment and small wares.
- List procedures to control and exterminate pests in the establishment.
- Pass the National Restaurant Association Education Foundation ServSafe exam.
- Food Microbiology
- Biological, chemical and physical hazards
- Purchasing, receiving, storage and preparation of food
- Master cleaning and sanitation schedule
- Pest control program
- Kitchen design basics
- Safe handling of food service equipment
- Safety data sheets
- Crisis management program
- Federal, state, and local regulations
- Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP)
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 05/02/2018
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)