CRT 251 - Court Reporting 6
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: CRT 104
This course emphasizes speed development in Literary, Jury Charge and Question and Answer material. The course prepares the student to increase speed and accuracy through weekly testing. The goal is to write machine shorthand tests for five minutes with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or better using Case CATalyst software.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify and analyze stroking errors and fluently read aloud machine shorthand notes.
- Write dictation of Question and Answer, Jury Charge and Literary material using machine shorthand skills and transcribe under institutional supervision with the goal of 95 percent accuracy or higher by the end of the course.
- Write with speed and accuracy through sustained dictation periods for five minutes with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or higher.
- Write multi-syllable and unfamiliar words with speed and accuracy including medical and technical dictation.
- Take dictation of multi-voice material utilizing machine shorthand speaker designations with transcription accuracy of 95 percent or higher.
- Use correct grammar and punctuation when transcribing.
- Internet research on vocabulary, spelling and word meanings within the context of dictated material
- Sustained classroom practice and readback in an environment that facilitates speed development
- Stenograph University Online/Accelerators
Materials and Resources:
Required Text: Department selected text
Required Materials: Stenograph paper, ribbons, realtime cables and connections
Audio-Visual Materials: CDs used in concert with theory lessons, CD player
Directed Study: Practice thee hours daily utilizing CDs, tutorials and online dictation materials
Open Court Reporting Tutoring Lab
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2011
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)