DAN 101 - Modern Dance 1
3 Skills Lab Hours
This course is an introduction to modern dance. Students will gain an understanding of dance as an art form. Various dance techniques will be explored to further the students physical and kinesthetic abilities. Aesthetic analysis of a variety of dance styles will provide an understanding of the communicative potential of dance. No prior dance training is required.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Explain dance as an art form.
- Show an increase in their muscular strength, flexibility, kinesthetic awareness and cardiovascular capacity.
- Demonstrate the communicative nature of dance and use it as a means of artistic expression.
- Prepare a paper analyzing the dance work in terms of form and content after attending a professional dance production.
- Choreograph a short dance solo.
- Flexibility exercises
- Beginning dance techniques
- Dance phrases to develop special and rhythmic awareness
- Analyzing choreography
- Tools of choreography
Videotapes of Dance Masterworks.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 02/04/2004
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)