Sep 29, 2022
DMS 114C - Ultrasound Clinical 1/Cardiac
120 Practicum Hours
Prerequisites: DMS 102 and DMS 105
Co-requisites: PHY 127 and DMS 104
This clinical course offers the student participation in the various steps involved in cardiac ultrasound examination of the patient. The student shares responsibility with the cardiac clinical instructor for scheduling, identifying and preparing the patient for examination. The student assures that patient preparation is properly followed for the given examination. The student scans the patient and develops skills in examination progression. The student develops skill and confidence in presenting the echocardiographic study to the interpreting physician. This course requires a per credit health career fee; check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate. This course is graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Find pertinent clinical data from the patient interview, chart, X-ray and laboratory reports and other related areas in order to maximize available information on the patient prior to the ultrasound examination.
- Identify proper patient preparation.
- List the various scan positions used in echocardiography.
- Identify the normal structures in 2-D echocardiographic imaging.
- Transform 2-D imaging to M-Mode imaging.
- Calculate normal valve areas with the use of color and spectral Doppler.
- Scanning and imaging techniques used in 2-D echocardiography
- Sonographic characteristics of the anatomic structures of the heart
- The principles and applications of transesophageal echocardiography and stress echocardiography
- The correlation of the role of echocardiography with the catheterization laboratory and the nuclear imaging lab
- The normal dimensions of heart structures and Doppler values
- Introduction to ischemic heart disease
Textbooks, library resources, journals and student clinical manual.
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 03/10/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)