DMS 115C - Ultrasound Clinical 2/Abdomen-OB/GYN
240 Practicum Hours
Prerequisites: DMS 103 , DMS 113C , PHY 127
The student develops skills in scanning, interpretation of the sonogram and in recognizing normal anatomical variations. The student gathers pertinent clinical data in order to understand the total medical picture of the patient prior to the ultrasound examination. The student presents cases to the interpreting physician. The student becomes familiar with portables, surgical and special sonographic procedures and assists in these areas. (The student is assigned to a full-time clinical experience over six weeks.) This course requires a per credit health career fee; check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate. This course is graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Develop skills in recognizing normal sonographic anatomy of the abdomen, pelvis and fetus.
- Apply appropriate scanning technique to image the normal fetus for biometry, abdominal and pelvic structures.
- Elicit pertinent data from the patient interview and chart in order to complete the total medical and clinical picture.
- Assess the needs of the sonographer and patient ancillary to the ultrasound examination.
- Develop skills in assisting the sonographer in the performance of special procedures and portable ultrasound examinations.
- Sonographic characteristics of normal anatomy of the abdomen, pelvis and fetus
- Scanning techniques of normal structures of the abdomen, pelvis and fetus
- Patient interviews, patient privacy and ancillary duties of the ultrasound examination
- Laboratory values indicating normal physiology of the abdominal, pelvis and fetal structures
- Imaging modalities such as computerized axial tomography (CAT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear medicine imaging in addition to sonography
Textbooks, library resources, journals and student clinical manual.
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 03/10/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)