Sep 29, 2022
DMS 235C - Ultrasound Clinical 3/Vascular
360 Practicum Hours
Prerequisites: DMS 137C
Co-requisites: DMS 207 , DMS 210
This clinical course offers the student experience in developing clinical skills in recognizing pathology or abnormal anatomy. The student will have the opportunity to maintain skills previously learned and to continue to develop new scanning skills. The student will continue to develop skills in the progression and completion of the examination. The student will begin to become independent of the clinical supervisor in the performance of the ultrasound examination. The student will assist in portable examinations and special procedures. Gaining skills and confidence in presenting the case before the interpreting physician will continue during this clinical experience.(Three full-time days per week). This course requires a per credit health career fee; check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate. This course is graded on a pass/fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Apply proper scanning technique to visualize abnormal anatomy of the extremity veins.
- Apply proper scanning technique to visualize abnormal anatomy of the carotid arteries.
- Apply proper scanning technique to visualize abnormal anatomy of the extremity arteries.
- Analyze pertinent data from patient interview and chart in order to complete the total medical and clinical picture.
- Assist in the performance of special procedures and portable ultrasound examinations.
- Correlate anatomical images of pathology of the vascular systems with clinical signs and symptoms.
- Correlate the sonographic characteristics with pathology of the vascular system.
- Sonographic characteristics of normal and abnormal anatomy of the extremity veins, carotid arteries and extremity arteries
- Scanning techniques of normal and abnormal structures of the vascular systems
- Patient interview, patient privacy and ancillary duties to the ultrasound examination
- Laboratory values indicating normal physiology of the vascular structures
- Other imaging modalities in addition to sonography used to image the vascular structures
Textbooks, library resources, journals and Student Clinical Manual.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/11/2009
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)