EAL 101 - EAL Reading 2
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: EAL 070 (minimum grade “C”) or successful placement.
Students must earn a “C” grade or better to register for the next course in this discipline or to use this course a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.
This course is for multilingual and emerging bilingual students of English. Skills taught in EAL 070 are reviewed and students are required to apply study and reading strategies learned to a variety of texts in different genres.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Practice rhetorical attunement to specific genres of writing.
- Identify the logical audience for different genres of writing.
- Generate opinions about the purpose of written texts.
- Respond, verbally and in writing, to a variety of texts.
- Develop English vocabulary.
- Rhetorical attunement practices: Identifying form, style, audience, purpose and tone.
- Vocabulary based on readings
- Discussing texts in class
- Presenting opinions/responses to texts in small and large groups
- Developing critical questions about texts
Textbooks and digital software/media
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 10/25/2016
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)