ENG 204 - English Literature From 18th Century to the Present
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: ENG 102
This is a survey course of English literature from the Romantic period to modern times. Included are such major writers as Blake, Wordsworth, Byron, Tennyson, Yeats, Eliot and Joyce.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify historical periods and explain major cultural aspects and political/governmental structures of those periods and how they influenced the literature and authors that are studied.
- Trace the progression of literature from the Romantic period to the present, analyzing the different periods for both differences and similarities.
- Develop critical thinking skills by analyzing the literature.
- Further develop writing skills in relationship to literature.
- Identify themes and their development in historical/cultural periods.
- Principal historic movements, culture, and political tendencies which influence a writer’s ideas and style
- Major authors and works
- Literary analysis of major works
- Timeline of periods and authors
Current recognized texts, handouts, videos, study sheets, Internet resources and multi-media.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 12/13/2006
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)