Dec 10, 2023
ETH 121 - Current Issues in Ethnic and Diversity Studies
3 Lecture Hours
This course will explore and provide an overview concerning current issues that ethnic groups face everyday in a rapidly changing diverse society. Differences based on age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or physical or mental ability will be examined. Students will learn to understand ethnicity and diversity in the context of current issues in modern America.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Explain current social issues of various ethnic groups in America.
- Discuss how various ethnic groups in the United States have been affected by oppression and hardship.
- Describe ethnic group’s historical background and contributions which brought about social changes in America.
- Articulate and understand the conditions which have, historically, worsened racial tensions in the United States.
- Explain issues of diversity and differences.
- Develop skills in oral and written communication.
- Generate mini research projects from an ethnic studies perspective.
- Define Ethnic and Diversity
- The importance of identity/diversity awareness among ethnic groups living in America
- The role of ethnic and diversity and its importance to the media/press
- The flood gates of immigration regarding ethnic groups here in America
- Ethnic groups social perspectives dealing with differences and contributions to diversity in America
- How has the historical culture of ethnic groups impacted America’s current issues in the 21st century
- The state of diversity among ethnic groups in America: their own ethnicity, attitudes, behaviors and self-awareness
- What progress was made during the last several decades in encouraging diversity in the communities, churches, media, Internet, workplace, education, etc
- How can ethnic groups communicate across cultures in America in order to effectively grow and develop as a healthier society
- The effects of ethnic and diversity on school, educators’ practices and students’ achievement (compare and contrast the rewards and challenges)
Lectures, classroom activities and student projects.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/13/2008
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)