Aug 19, 2022
ART 180H - Honors International Study of Art, Architecture and Material Culture, Experimental
1 Lecture Hours
This course is an on-site survey of art, architecture and material culture. Through international directed field study the student will experience firsthand the aesthetic traditions and history of the nation(s) visited.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify how art, architecture and material culture express the political, cultural, religious and philosophical customs of the geographic region(s) or nation(s) visited.
- Outline the history of the nation(s) visited though the art, architecture and material culture produced using first hand aesthetic and cultural experiences gained through travel.
- Analyze the art, architecture and material culture experienced during field study by comparing them to those of the North American/ Western tradition.
- Art, architecture and material culture of the nation(s) visited
- History of nation(s) visited
- Elements of art- line, shape, mass, space, time and motion, light, color, texture
- Principles of design- unity and variety, balance, emphasis and subordination, directional forces, contrast, repetition and rhythm, scale and proportion
- Materials and techniques used to create the art, architecture and material culture studied
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)