Associate of Science
This program prepares graduates for entry into clinical laboratory work. Employment opportunities exist in hospitals and private laboratories where work is done under the supervision of a pathologist. For more information on careers in the medical laboratory, visit the website of the American Society of Clinical Pathology www.ascp.org.
Graduates are eligible to take the national examination for certification as Medical Laboratory Technicians MLT (ASCP). Admission is limited by the availability of clinical sites. Students must make separate applications to this program. Applicants must be eligible for college-level courses and should have a science background. Introduction to Human Biology (BIO 103 ) may be taken as a prerequisite or corequisite of MLT 111 .
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Perform aseptic technique.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all laboratory exercises by performance of test procedures with results and control values within acceptable manufacturer’s control limits.
- Perform tests and identify clinically important microbes.
- Exhibit medical laboratory knowledge, professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Perform clinical tests under the supervision of qualified facility personnel.
A student must maintain a 2.0 college level cumulative GPA to remain and successfully complete the program.
Admission to the MLT program is limited by the availability of clinical sites.
This program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119; 773.714.8880, www.naacls.org.
Graduates are eligible to apply for the national examination for Medical Laboratory Technician, MLT (ASCP).
See Medical Laboratory Technician Program for more information.