Associate of Science
The Carpentry Apprenticeship program is a four-year degree program offering qualified applicants occupational training under the sponsorship of the local Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee of the Building Trades and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor. The training prepares students to work in commercial building construction as skilled carpenters. This associate degree program is designed for apprentices interested in expanding upon the coursework and training completed through the certificate program to earn an associate degree.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will:
- Apply safety standards in all aspects of the carpentry trade as defined by and governed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Joint Apprenticeship Committee of the Building Trades and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor.
- Demonstrate manipulative skills in carpentry construction including deck, roof systems, hardware and framing.
- Operate a wide range of hand, power and air tools and instrumentation.
- Interpret structural blueprints and construct building systems.
- Estimate quantities and costs of items in commercial construction, including the utilization of green materials.
- Communicate effectively using terminology appropriate to the trade and a diverse environment.
Construction trade technology training programs are open to all qualified students. However, admission is by competitive testing and interviews are with the Joint Apprenticeship Committee. Applicants must meet specific admission requirements which include: pre-admission exam, criminal history records checks, child abuse clearances, drug screening and fingerprinting.
The program is held at the Carpentry Apprenticeship training site located at 652 Ridge Road, Pittsburgh, PA. Upon successful completion of the program, including the job experience hours required by the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training, the State of Pennsylvania awards Journeyman working papers to those who complete the apprenticeship program.