Associate of Science
This program provides training in the field of respiratory therapy. Training in the use of equipment is included in a patient-oriented hospital experience.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Demonstrate competence in the cognitive (knowledge) learning domain of respiratory care practice as performed by a registered respiratory therapist.
- Demonstrate competence in the psychomotor (skill) learning domain of respiratory care practice as performed by a registered respiratory therapist.
- Demonstrate competence in the affective (behavior) learning domain of respiratory care practice as performed by a registered respiratory therapist.
- Design, implement and evaluate the respiratory therapy care plans used by a registered respiratory therapist.
- Recognize, demonstrate and apply written and oral communication skills required by a registered respiratory therapist.
Admission is limited by the availability of clinical sites and other factors. Students must make separate applications to this program.
Applicants should have a C or better grade in high school chemistry, algebra and natural sciences or its equivalent. They must also meet pre-program requirements, which include the successful completion of MAT 108 , CHM 109 (or CHM 110 and CHM 111 ) and BIO 115 . Applicants must have successfully completed all developmental courses as required.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the certification examination leading to the registered respiratory therapist (RRT) sponsored by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC). Job opportunities are in hospitals, clinics, home care and sales.
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021-4244; 817.283.2835, www.coarc.com.
"Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented. Programmatic outcomes data reported on the CoARC website include:
3-year time period being reported;
CRT credentialing success;
RRT credentialing success;
Achievement of the high cut score on the TMC Exam (beginning 2018);
Overall Graduate Satisfaction;
Overall Employer Satisfaction;
On-time Graduation Rate;
Total number of program enrollees;
Total number of program graduates;
Maximum Annual Enrollment."