Allegheny, Boyce, North, South
The certificate in Computer Forensic Technology program at CCAC offers specialized and demanding knowledge and skills necessary for performing professional duties as computer forensic examiners/technicians, analysts, investigators and auditors in public or private environment security firms.
The program includes courses in both the computer and information technology and criminal justice disciplines and provides students a solid technical background in the methods, techniques and tools of recovering and processing computer and digital data as well as in the fundamental laws, rules, procedures and ethics of collecting and reporting digital evidence.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computer hardware, software, file systems, networks and principles of information security in identifying and processing computer crime and information security incidents.
- Demonstrate computer forensic investigation skills using computer forensic hardware and software tools.
- Describe the fundamentals of the criminal justice system, search and seizure and evidence evaluation and court procedures, regarding computer and digital evidence.
- Apply critical thinking skills, problem solving skills and observe professional ethics in case and data analysis.
- Successfully complete a capstone project or internship in computer forensics that culminates into a portfolio.
The following is a suggested course sequence for completing the certificate in the shortest amount of time.