2020-2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Early Childhood Director Core, Diploma (654.3)
Allegheny, Boyce, North, South, Online
This program is designed for individuals who work in early childhood and child development and wish to apply for the Director Credential as identified by the PA Key to increase the knowledge and understanding of the role of the Child Care and School-Age Director as defined in Section 3720.34 and 3720.241 (c), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Child Day Care Regulations and to meet the requirements of the Keystone STARS continuous quality assurance program at the STAR 3 level.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Integrate appropriate theories and practices to create, implement and evaluate.
- Identify core values and ethical behavior standards of the profession by exercising sensitivity, professionalism, confidentiality and competency when interacting with children, families, co-workers, community representatives and policy agents.
- Utilize student-prepared tools and strategies that reflect content and pedagogical knowledge of intentional and responsive practice.
- Apply appropriate observation and assessment strategies to positively influence children's development and learning as they employ appropriate discipline terminology and professional tone in written and oral communication.
To begin this coursework, students must:
- Have an associate or bachelor's degree in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human service field.
- Have an associate or bachelor's degree in any other field, including 30 hours of early childhood, child development, special education, elementary education or the human service field.
- Be eligible for clearances from the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History check and the Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Check. Additionally, if required by a field/practicum site, students will need to obtain the FBI Criminal History Record Check (ACT114).
The student must complete three, three-credit courses that are not included in any other associate or Bachelor's degree. The program can be completed in one, two, or three semesters. Graduates can be Directors of Early Childhood, Child Development, Infant/Toddler or School-Age Programs.
After completion of these courses, candidates will make separate application to the PA Key and should obtain information to meet additional requirements of candidacy. (www.pakeys.org)