ART 250 - Graphic Communication 3
5 Studio Hours
Prerequisites: ART 168 and ART 249 or instructor permission
This intermediate course in graphic communication utilizes the knowledge and technical skills acquired in Graphic Communication 1 and 2 to further develop conceptually and visually sophisticated ideas and messages. Students explore contemporary design trends in advertising, identity, publication and packaging design for industry proven assignments.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Develop page layouts demonstrating the synergistic relationships between type and image.
- Apply industry-standard rastor, vector and page layout application collection that meets professional preflighting and printing standards.
- Present professional quality designed solutions that align with assignment client and target audience criteria.
- Demonstrate technical and theoretical proficiency in the generation of conceptual and aesthetically rich communication solutions for inclusion in a design portfolio.
- Participate in graphic design competition as an individual or member of a creative team.
- Classification of abstract, pictorial, wordmark and lettermark identity design
- Application of vector software in the design and development of a dieline for packaging design
- Restrictive time frames, budget, template standards and production limitations to simulate real-world scenarios
- Project management techniques
- Categorization and technical aspects of paper weight, finish and printing characteristics
- Compositional theory: symmetrical, asymmetrical, rule of thirds, grid layout and radial in advertising design
Instructor-approved textbook, software and materials.
Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 2/25/2022
- Technological Competence
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)