HPE 136 - Self Defense
3 Activity Hours
This course is a study of striking techniques from the art of Karate along with throws, holds, and breakhold techniques from the art of Judo and Ju-Jitsu. Stress is put on the student’s need for practical self-defense ability as opposed to tournament competition.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate proper exercises which will aid the student in other forms of athletic and leisure time activities.
- Adopt techniques to enhance health including flexibility, warm-ups and calisthenics.
- Employ skills to access dangerous situations and learn ways to effectively seek help.
- Perform basic skills for self-protection.
- Employ self-discipline skills in order to improve self-defense techniques on their own.
- Self Defense from front, rear, and side attacks
- Street-smart self defense
- Proper judgment of offensive and defensive maneuvers
- The concept of self defense
Pertinent handouts and or text as designated by instructor.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 04/13/2007
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)