May 18, 2022
MAT 090 - Algebra Fundamentals
4 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: MAT 080 Minimum grade C
A course in the fundamentals of algebra. Included are such topics as the real number system; operations on polynomial expressions containing variables; word problems; special products and factoring; solution sets of equations and inequalities in one variable. Included also are rational expressions and introduction to the rectangular coordinate system. Students must earn a "C" grade or better to register for the next course in this discipline or to use this course as a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Simplify numerical expression involving rational numbers.
- Perform operations and evaluate polynomial expressions.
- Solve linear equations, literal equations, and linear inequalities in one variable.
- Solve application problems leading to linear equations in one variable.
- Graph linear equations in two variables by plotting solutions (using a graphing tool is optional).
- Factor polynomial expressions.
- Simplify rational expressions and solve rational equations.
- Apply the Pythagorean theorem.
- Real number system, order of operations with rational numbers, and evaluating algebraic expressions
- Operations on polynomial expressions including special products and factoring
- Linear equations in one variable, linear inequalities in one variable and literal equations in one variable
- Linear equations in two variables
- Operations on rational expressions
Each student is required to have a calculator and a textbook adopted by the Mathematics Department at the specific campus. If available, students may purchase a student solutions manual or make use of the interactive software and video tapes located in the math laboratory or Learning Center.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 07/13/2006
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)