MLA 102C - Medical Lab Assistant Externship
240 Clinical Hours
Prerequisites: Minimum of “C” grade in all program courses.
This course offers practical experience in an affiliated clinical laboratory. Students perform routine specimen processing, accessioning and distribution. Laboratory information systems, communication and skills associated with phlebotomy and vital signs are included. This course is graded on a pass/fail basis. This course requires a per credit health career fee; Check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Verify accuracy of specimen collection and labeling.
- Verify accuracy of specimen transport and processing.
- Enter appropriate data into the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
- Prepare blood and body fluid specimens for analysis.
- Perform phlebotomy to required standards.
- Infection control and safety practices
- Quality Control
- Reagents, standards and controls
- Laboratory Information System (LIS)
- Specimen accessioning
- Appropriate testing in various laboratory departments
Laboratory specimens and materials, Laboratory Information System, discussion, handouts, laboratory procedure manuals, check sheets and performance evaluation sheets.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 04/15/2010
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)