MUS 101 - Introduction to Music
3 Lecture Hours
This course surveys the form, style and basic structure of art, world and popular music. It is designed to enhance students’ appreciation and understanding of music by focusing on influential composers and their compositions. Lectures highlight the characteristics, history and performance practice of many genres of music.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Recognize the essential attributes of various genres of music.
- Identify important composers and compositions by name through listening.
- Summarize the important developments in music history.
- Compare and contrast art music, world music and popular music.
- Distinguish the instrumental timbres of common ensembles.
- Instrumental timbres
- Western art music
- World and popular music
Textbook: department selected text.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/05/2011
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)