SPH 101 - Oral Communication
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: ENG 100 , or eligibility for ENG-101.
This is a course to develop the students' skill in the organization and oral expression of ideas through a variety of speeches. Emphasis is on the way people communicate effectively in professional, business, and social situations.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Organize and outline material for various types of speeches.
- Use supporting evidence in his/her presentation.
- Distinguish between the major methods or styles of delivery.
- Work cooperatively in a small group situation.
- Evaluate topics presented by fellow classmates.
- Design and deliver informative and persuasive speeches.
- Speak with confidence in public forums.
- Recognize the importance of public speaking in society.
- Recognize the importance of audience analysis for effective public speaking.
- Presentation Skills
- Interpersonal Communication
- Persuasive Speaking
- Audience Analysis
- Informative Speaking
- Nonverbal Communication
- Impromptu Speaking
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 04/13/2007
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)