ATE 130 - Automotive Brake Systems
3 Skills Lab Hours
Prerequisites: ATE 103
This course covers the diagnosis, troubleshooting and repair of disc and drum brake systems, power brake boosters, master cylinders, wheel cylinders and related components. Certain course sections will be manufacturer specific.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Analyze the components of the self energizing and leading /trailing drum brake systems.
- Replace disc and drum brake components.
- Discuss fixed and floating front and rear brake calipers.
- Describe different types of hydraulic split systems used on current model vehicles.
- Evaluate the necessity to overhaul or replace wheel cylinders, calipers, master cylinders and power brake units.
- Measure machine rotors and drums using industry-approved tools and techniques.
- Describe the operating characteristics of a compensating port master cylinder, center valve master cylinder and a combination valve master cylinder.
- Correct bleeding procedures and adjust both hydraulic and mechanical brake systems.
- Hydraulic brake systems
- Disc/drum brake systems
- 4-wheel disc systems
- Power brake systems
- Parking brake systems
- Rotor and drum machining
Instructor-approved textbook and materials.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 12/21/2011
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)