CIT 641 - Computer Information Security
1 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: Regular experience using computers and Internet.
This course is an introduction to practical computer and data security topics for all users, including business professionals and home users. Coverage includes general information security concepts, personal computer security, internet and e-mail security, wired and wireless network security, and organizational data security and risk assessment, The course is graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Define and describe general information security issues, including data and identity theft and various vulnerabilities and attacks.
- Discuss information security policies and principles.
- Explain how to apply physical security, data security and operating system security on personal desktop and laptop computers.
- Identify and describe risks and vulnerabilities of the Internet and e-mail.
- Identify and explain preventive measures and technologies that can be used to minimize Web attacks and protect e-mail.
- List and describe common network attacks and security solutions.
- Discuss effective practices in organizational data asset evaluation and risk assessment.
The following is intended to show specific topics to be covered and does not specify a required sequence.
- Definition of information security and general security policy
- Data and identity theft, various vulnerabilities and attacks, and attacker profiles
- Physical security, data security, and operating system security of personal computers
- Internet and Web vulnerabilities, attacks, and security measures and solutions
- Email vulnerabilities, attacks, and security measures and solutions
- Wired and wireless network security issues and solutions
- Organizational data security and risk assessment
Current and appropriate textbook, current and appropriate version of software, multimedia for lecture and demonstration, access to the Internet.
Approved By: Sutin, Stewart Date Approved: 11/08/2006
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)