Mar 21, 2023
LND 105 - Fundamentals of Title Abstracting
4 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: LND 101 and LND 102
Co-requisites: LND 103
This course is a study of the principles of property title abstracting. The student will understand the process of being able to provide the chain of title for a tract of land including the surface, oil, gas, coal and minerals, as well as the leasehold chain for the property and providing any and all encumbrances on the property.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Provide the Chain of Title for the surface estate.
- Provide the Chain of Title for the subsurface estates.
- Provide the Leasehold Chain of a tract of land.
- Prepare a runsheet and schematic chart.
- Provide a deed plot for the legal description of property.
- Determine well status, location and production using the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) and West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP) websites.
- Oil and gas leases including assignments of lease and surrender of lease
- County recorder indices
- Property tax cards
- Judgments and liens
- Deed plotting
- Easements and Right of Ways
- Pooling and unitization agreements
- Power of attorney
- Affidavit of non-production
- Butler vs. Powers Estate
- Ohio Dormant Mineral Act
Instructor-approved textbook and materials, deed plotting software, state government interactive websites, county recorder online indices
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 03/03/2015
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)