MUS 115 - Jazz Ensemble 1
3 Studio Hours
This course comprises the formation of a jazz band. It covers a diversity of jazz styles including Latin, blues and swing. Coursework emphasizes music, reading, improvisation, performance practice and ensemble technique. Jazz Ensemble 2, 3 and 4 build upon the skills and techniques developed in the previous Jazz Ensemble course.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Perform jazz arrangements in concert.
- Arrange instrumental and vocal parts from chord charts.
- Develop jazz performance techniques.
- Perform solo improvisations.
- Compare various jazz styles.
- Evaluate musical performances.
- Scoring and arranging
- Performance practice
- Jazz styles
- Ensemble technique
sheet music, CDs
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 12/15/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)