MUS 230 - Class Voice 3
3 Studio Hours
Prerequisites: MUS 131
This course builds on the singing skills developed in Class Voice 2. Students further refine their vocal techniques through rehearsal and performance of classical and musical theatre songs. In addition, this course addresses vocal techniques from various other styles, including jazz, pop, folk, and country. Lectures and activities include exercises designed to address vocal techniques specific to particular musical styles; solo and ensemble rehearsals; and vocal performances representing various musical genres.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Recognize the essential attributes of various vocal styles and techniques.
- Demonstrate, in performance, vocal techniques appropriate to various musical styles.
- Synthesize vocal styles with their socio-cultural context.
- Analyze the relationship between text and music in songs from various musical styles.
- Evaluate performances of songs from various musical styles.
- Bel Canto technique
- Musical theatre vocal styles
- Jazz vocal styles
- Pop vocal styles
- Folk vocal styles
- Country vocal styles
- Song interpretation
- Performance etiquette
textbook, sheet music, CDs, internet
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 12/15/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)