Dec 10, 2023
DMS 237C - Ultrasound Clinical 4/Vascular
360 Practicum Hours
Prerequisites: DMS 235C , DMS 207 , DMS 210
Co-requisites: DMS 239
The student will have the opportunity to refine skills in scanning. Interpretation of the presenting clinical signs and symptoms will be one of the objectives for this clinical course. Accuracy in recognizing anatomical variations and pathology, completing the examination in a timely manner and presenting the findings to the interpreting physician will be the main objective for this clinical rotation. The student will continue to perform portable examinations and assist the physician and clinical instructor in any special procedures. (Three full-time days per week). This course requires a per credit health career fee; check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate. This course is graded on a pass/fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Apply proper scanning techniques to visualize normal and abnormal anatomy of the extremity veins.
- Apply proper scanning techniques to visualize normal and abnormal anatomy of the carotid arteries.
- Apply proper scanning techniques to visualize normal and abnormal anatomy of the extremity arteries.
- Analyze pertinent data from patient interview and chart in order to complete the total medical and clinical picture.
- Analyze clinical laboratory findings with sonographic images of the vascular structures.
- Correlate anatomical images of pathology of the vascular systems with clinical signs and symptoms.
- Correlate the sonographic characteristics with pathology of the vascular system.
- Combine laboratory findings, patient interview and sonographic findings to progress and complete sonographic examination before presenting the case to the interpreting physician.
- Sonographic characteristics of normal and abnormal anatomy of the extremity veins, carotid arteries and extremity arteries
- Scanning techniques of normal and abnormal structures of the vascular systems
- Patient interview, patient privacy and ancillary duties to the ultrasound examination
- Laboratory values indicating normal physiology of the vascular structures
- Other imaging modalities in addition to sonography used to image the vascular structures
Textbooks, library resources, journals and Student Clinical Manual.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/11/2009
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)