Mar 23, 2023
EAL 061 - EAL Pronunciation
2 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: EAL Placement test
Co-requisites: EAL 062
This course is for multilingual and emerging bilingual students of English who need to increase the clarity of their speech in English, for clear communication, while retaining accent.
Students must earn a “C” grade or better to use this course as a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Produce consonant and vowel sounds clearly.
- Distinguish word stress or prominence based on contextually situated variables.
- Demonstrate eye contact and effective body language while speaking.
- Develop individual awareness of volume and rate of speech.
- Build confidence in English speaking for different purposes.
- Gesture, body language and eye contact
- Stress, rhythm, intonation and phrasing
- Consonant and vowel sounds
- Positions of articulators, including, vocal cords, mouth, tongue, lips, throat and facial muscles
Textbooks and digital media
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 10/25/2016
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)