EAL 062 - EAL Communication in English
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: EAL placement test
Co-requisites: EAL 061
This course is for multilingual and emerging bilingual students of English who want to increase the efficiency of their communication skills. While focus is on oral communication, students will also obtain experience in listening and note taking skills.
Students must earn a “C” grade or better to use this course as a prerequisite for a course in another discipline.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate listening comprehension skills.
- Design speeches for argumentative and informative purposes.
- Recite a five minute dialogue project with a classmate.
- Determine the appropriate approach to discussion based on context.
- Develop an awareness of social cues, formalities and signals that are used in verbal and embodied communication in English.
- Reading and discussing the news
- Talking about oneself
- Taking a position on a topic
- Summarizing information
- Speaking in public
- Memorizing dialogue
- Listening and observing discussions in different contexts
Textbooks and digital media
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 10/25/2016
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)