2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Health Information Technology, A.S. (550.4)
Associate of Science
HIT Admissions Requirements
This program provides education in the development, maintenance and use of patient health information for medical care, health planning, quality improvement, medical research, professional education and financial reimbursement.
Employment opportunities exist in hospitals, ambulatory care centers, long-term care, behavioral health care facilities and physician practices.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the national examination of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) to qualify as a registered health information technician (RHIT).
Admission is limited by the availability of clinical sites. Students must make separate application to this program.
Applicants must be eligible for college-level courses with a C or better in BIO 110 - Introduction to Biological Science .
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), 233 N. Michigan Avenue, 21st Floor, Chicago, IL 60601; 312.233.1100, www.cahiim.org.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Apply technical proficiency in the entry-level competencies for health information technicians.
- Identify and demonstrate the professional attitudes and ethical behaviors consistent with the Code of Ethics of the American Health Information Management Association.
- Use effective written and oral communication skills appropriate for interpersonal and group environments.
- Employ critical thinking and problem-solving skills in professional practice.
- Meet eligibility requirements to sit for the national credentialing exam of the American Health Information Management Association to qualify as a Registered Health Information Technician.