HEO 101 - Heavy Equipment Regulation & Safety 1
4 Lecture Hours 4 Lab Hours
This course provides students with safety training, both personal and equipment and the industry regulations governing the Heavy Equipment Operator field. This addresses the need to ensure a safe work environment in the heavy equipment portion of the construction industry. The training includes various emergency procedures, pre-operational equipment and soil inspection techniques, and the safety training needed to qualify for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Construction Outreach completion card. The tasks specific to pipeline construction and distribution work required to complete the Department of Transportation qualification are presented.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Qualify for certification from the National Safety Council in various lifesaving and emergency procedures.
- Classify the basic safety issues pertaining to the construction industry.
- Explain the history of apprenticeship and labor and current labor/management relations.
- Identify the steps to be followed for the safe operation of the various forklifts used in the construction industry.
- List the unique hazards associated with the use of the various forklifts used in the construction industry.
- Explain the various types of communication used in the industry.
- Demonstrate the hand signaling used to communicate in this industry.
- Explain the tasks specific to Operating Engineers engaged in pipeline construction and distribution work.
- Qualify for certification for OSHA Construction Outreach.
- Qualify for certification for Safeland USA.
- Qualify for certification for National Safety Council First Aid/CPR.
- Qualify for certification for Powered Industrial Certification Operator as required by OSHA.
- Safety and first aid training
- Basic safety issues in the construction industry
- Apprenticeship and labor/management relations
- Safe operation of forklifts
- Communication in the construction industry
- Safeland USA certification
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council (PEC)
Instructor-approved textbook and materials.
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 12/08/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)