May 29, 2023
ALH 140 - Medical Terminology
3 Lecture Hours
This course is a basic study of the professional language of medicine. It is designed to include word construction, pronunciation, spelling, definition and use of terms related to all areas of medical science, hospital service and health related professions. This course is designed to give the student a basic knowledge of anatomy, pathology, surgical procedures, diagnostic procedures and symptomatology.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Define a medical term by dividing it into its elements, identifying and defining each part.
- Correctly spell, pronounce and define medical terms applicable to anatomy, physiology, pathology, procedures and symptomatology.
- Use frequently encountered abbreviations in the health field.
- Convert medical terms into lay terminology, as well as convert lay terms into medical terminology.
- Translate medical vocabulary in professional application situations such as oral and written communication.
- Roots, suffixes and prefixes
- Terms pertaining to the body as a whole
- Musculoskeletal system
- Nervous system
- Sensory system
- Cardiovascular system
- Respiratory system
- Blood system
- Lymphatic and immune system
- Digestive system
- Urinary system
- Reproductive system
- Endocrine system
- Cancer medicine
- Radiology and nuclear medicine
Text book as determined by instructor.
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 05/15/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)