Feb 06, 2023
SEM 105 - College Seminar
2 Lecture Hours
In this course, students explore academic strategies, culture, resources and expectations. Topics include career planning and graduation requirements. Students discover and use current college tools and services as the foundation for creating individualized academic, career and resource plans.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Apply independent learning strategies required for success in academic courses at the college level.
- Describe the major characteristics of college culture, expectations, and procedures.
- Utilize effective communication skills in order to interact respectfully and productively in a diverse learning environment.
- Identify interests and resources related to career options through the development of a career plan.
- Demonstrate knowledge of academic terminology and timing through the development of an academic plan.
- Apply problem-solving strategies to manage issues that impact school performance through the creation of a resource plan.
- Demonstrate information literacy using appropriate technological tools and resources necessary for academic success.
- College classroom expectations
- Academic terminology
- Policies and procedures as outlined in the CCAC Student Handbook
- Communication in a diverse setting
- Awareness of cultural differences
- Alignment of career interests to academic programs
- Career exploration and online tools
- Transfer programs and articulation agreements
- Program requirements
- Financial literacy
- Time management
- Study strategies
- Active learning techniques
- Student development resources (career services, advising & registration, financial aid, transfer & personal counseling, supportive services, campus cupboard, etc.)
- Document sharing
- Blackboard and MyCCAC portal
- Academic email use and etiquette
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 09/26/2019
- Technological Competence
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)